Monday, September 8, 2008

Masoor Dal

I got the recipe for this Red Lentil (Masoor Dal) soup from Mothering.com a long time ago. It is a very mildly spiced Indian soup. Since red lentils cook quite quickly, it's a very quick meal to throw together on a busy night, and it's mild enough for the kids. When I went to the site to post the link to the recipe, it is no longer available, so I will copy the recipe here for you.

Red Lentil Soup with East Indian Spices
recipe by: Cynthia Lair

1 Tbs ghee (I used Earth Balance)

1 onion, chopped

2 Tbs minced garlic

1 tsp tumeric powder

1 tsp cumin powder

1/8 tsp cayenne

1 cup chopped tomatoes

1 cup dried red lentils

4 cups water

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp ghee (use Earth Balance)

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp mustard seeds

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat Earth Balance in a large pot, saute onions slowly until browned. Add garlic and spices and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until they break down. Wash and drain lentils. Add lentils and water to pot. Simmer 45 minutes (my lentils were cooked much sooner than 45 minutes), stirring often. Stir in salt. Heat 1 tsp EB in a small skillet and fry seeds over low heat until they pop. Stir fried seeds and cilantro into finished soup. Makes 4 servings. (I left out the fried seeds, I don't like the flavor and crunch that they add to the soup, for me it doesn't pair well with the smoother texture of the soup)


3 comments:

Susan Chipley said...

I've been getting excited for "soup/stew season" to start. You just jumped right on in, eh? Looks fantastic. It will be my first soup I make this fall. Indian-spiced lentils? Can't go wrong there.

carrie said...

Yes, DM, I got tired of waiting. Although we've been having some cool weather the past few days, so it just seemed right. I am a HUGE fan of soups/stews, and am looking forward to fall for that very reason!!

Anonymous said...

This soup sounds really good. I love red lentils.

Krys