Friday, February 8, 2008

Sweet Potato and Spinach Quesadillas


Wow, it's been quite a while since I've posted a meal!! Rob's been out of town all this week and things have been CRAAAZZZYYY!! I did cook a few meals before he left. On Sunday we had the Bean and Corn Tortilla Lasagna from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. Then, on Monday, we had Dreena's Monkey Minestrone, also from ED&BV (unfortunately I do not have any good pictures to share with you). Rob left Tuesday and that's pretty much where the cooking ended!! I did throw together a huge pot of No Chicken Noodle Soup made with alphabet pasta, and the girls and I ate it all week long.

We still have soup left, but I think it's going to have to go the freezer, because we just can't eat anymore soup!! I didn't have a lot in the house because it's been almost a week since I've shopped, and I didn't get much to begin with knowing Rob would be gone. So, I threw together some quesadillas (we always have tortillas on hand). I'm trying to transition to a vegan diet, so I really didn't want cheese on my quesadilla, although I did use cheese for the girls (as much as I would like to stop all animal product, Mairin's not quite ready to accept sweet potato on her quesadilla, so she had sweet potatoes on the side).

For the quesadillas I peeled, diced, and roasted one medium sweet potato. After the potato had roasted I sauted a bit of onion and garlic then added in a few handfuls of baby spinach to let it wilt. I mashed the sweet potato, spread it on one side of the tortilla, layered on the spinach saute, the sprinkled on a bit of cumin, chili powder and just a touch of allspice. I topped it with another tortilla and grilled it in the panini press until the tortilla was golden brown.

We ate our quesadillas with some guacamole and tortilla chips on the side. I had also planned to make some vanilla "rice" cream for dessert, but Stella's a bit under the weather today and I just didn't get time to make it and let it set up, so we'll be having that as a dessert later in the weekend. Instead, I thawed some frozen mango pieces and we ate those as dessert.

I got a new cookbook this week, so look for some new recipes coming soon!!

4 comments:

J said...

Yum! Sweet potato on a quesadilla looks delicious! What a great idea. My kids also are not ready to give up dairy. Hey, at least they are embracing the meatless meals!

Amy said...

Mmmmm I love the sound of these! I adore sweet potato and spinach is also a favourite!

carrie said...

Jenny - My youngest daughter is off dairy completely (she's LI), but my older daughter still LOVES cheese (and unfortunately vegan cheese is pretty yucky).

Veg - I got the idea from one of Robin Robertson's books, it was supposed to be sweet potato and black bean enchilada. But, I hadn't thawed any beans and I didn't have any in a tin, so I went with spinach instead.

You would both be surprised how delicious this was!!

Susan Chipley said...

Oh my. Those look really good!