Saturday, December 6, 2008

I'm back

Wow, it' s been a very long time since I last visited my blog. We were away on vacation during the holiday week, and I feel like I've been going non-stop since then. This is such a busy time of year, and something had to give. What gave was cooking and creating new dishes, and posting on the blog. We've been eating, and we've been eating well. We just haven't been eating anything that deserves to be blogged about.
Starting with our trip.......I managed to eat very well in Mexico. I never had any problem finding something tasty and vegan with which to fill my belly. And there was of course plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. However, one of the most interesting finds turned out to be a vegan staple.........soy milk. The place we stayed had the most delicious soy milk you've ever tasted in your life. The brand was AdeS, and unfortunately is not available in the US market, but keep you eyes peeled, all of the US commercial soy milks pale in comparison.
Since our return, and even before we left or meals have been mostly comprised of old stand-by's. I've not been creative enough to cook anything of my own, and I've only been motivated enough to cook one meal from a recipe. That would be the tasty soup you see above. This is Lentil Soup with Ribbons of Kale from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. This soup was delicious. My family of four finished the entire pot at one meal!! And it's so satisfying to have a healthy, hearty meal waiting for you at the end of a long cold day. Expect to see many more recipes from this book over the long, cold winter days ahead.
Since we missed Thanksgiving, we did a small meal here before we left which consisted of Tofurky and the fixin's. However, it was really kind of a quick, thrown together Thanksgiving meal, so tomorrow we are putting up our Christmas tree and eating a proper, takes all day to prepare, Thanksgiving. Stay tuned for that in the near future. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love soy milk, too, but if you're drinking it several times a day, be aware of soy estrogens!

I'm a vegetarian and I have a hard time getting enough protein -- and with all the supplements out there that tout soy--it just makes me a little weary. I found a really tasty one online called Nutribody and it's working great so far -- no soy estrogens, sugar, and it's made of brown rice and pea protein!
Definitely school yourself on soy hormones..
Stay healthy,
Anna