Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tomato, Basil Panini


This is one of our quick and easy go to meals when we don't have a lot of time or energy for cooking. Last night was one of those nights. We've been up and down every few hours at night with Stella, and none of us are getting much sleep. I was exhausted last night and didn't feel like doing much of anything. Plus, it was cold and rainy, and that really didn't give me much of a boost. All I really wanted to do was take a shower and put on some cozy pj's. As I've mentioned before, I do all of my meal planning on Saturday's and each week I plan in 1 or 2 quick and easy meals (usually spaghetti, quesadillas, pizza and the like), that I can use on days like yesterday.

So, our two quick and easy's this week were panini and quesadilla. Last night seemed like a panini night. The panini is made on ciabata that I bought from WFM. I slice it open, spread on some basil pesto (and last night I even used pre-made pesto from a tube.....I always keep some on hand for those nights that I don't feel like getting the food processor dirty), layer it with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and some fresh basil leaf and salt & pepper. Put the top on and stick it in the panini press until the bread is nicely browned and the cheese is begining to melt.

When we have these in the summer we usually have a nice green salad or pasta salad with the meal, but last night seemed to need something warm. So, I sauteed up some zucchini that I'd bought at the farmer's market, onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and voila, a delicious (and simple) side. We paired it with a gigantic organic apple for some sweetness.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Susan Chipley said...

Carrie: I love your blog! I'll definitely be a regular reader, and I look forward to getting some meal ideas from you. All of your food looks so good. It seems like many of your dishes are similar to mine.
 
The panini looks sooooo delicious! My mom is getting me a Le Crueset grill pan for Christmas, and they have a nifty little panini press that you can get with it.  I can't wait to make some!