Friday, November 16, 2007

Pizza Night Again


You've probably noticed by now.....pizza is a favorite around here. All 4 of us love pizza and we have it frequently. This is something I might feel really guilty about if we ordered take out. But, being that it's all made from scratch, I know exactly what goes into the crust, and there's none of that nasty delivery pizza grease involved, I really don't feel bad about serving pizza at all. As a matter of fact, it's a great way of getting in a balanced meal. Tonight we had my mom, step dad and brother over for dinner so I made two pizzas. The first was just a cheese pizza. Tomato sauce with a dash of oregano for sauce, sprinkled with shredded mozzarella cheese and grated Parmesan. The second pizza was something I just made up from what I had on hand (cheese pizza was the plan for tonight, then I invited guests and needed more than one pizza, we're leaving town tomorrow so I had to avoid buying anymore food).


I started by making a roasted red pepper sauce. I used one jar of roasted red peppers, 2 cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. I threw it all in the food processor, and drizzled in EVOO while the machine ran until it was the consistency I was looking for. I topped the red pepper sauce with a can of artichoke hearts, diced; 1/2 bag of frozen spinach, leaves only, stems removed; 1/2 small onion, diced; and one roasted pepper, sliced, that I had saved out of the jar. Top it with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake.


It was incredibly delicious, I'll definitely be making it again. I served it with a simple iceberg salad and balsamic vinaigrette.


This will be the last post for awhile. We're heading to Cancun tomorrow for the Thanksgiving Holiday. This is my first Thanksgiving as a vegetarian, and I have to say, I'm thankful I'm not going to have to deal with the whole turkey thing, and the pressure to eat it. I'm going to make my family a nice vegetarian feast sometime when we return to celebrate the holidays.


I hope all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Susan Chipley said...

Have a great trip! Veggie T-givings are awesome. For me, it was always all about the side dishes anyway.

By the way, that roasted red pepper sauce looks killer!