Friday, January 11, 2008

South of the Border

It seems that all of my posts recently have been a day behind. I can't seem to find the time to do everything in the evening before I'm ready to crash (although last night I didn't really do much of anything unless you count laying on the couch watching Gray's Anatomy as doing something!!). Maybe I'll get better about posting about my food on the day we actually ate it, maybe I won't, who knows.

Last night we had a little south of the border inspired dinner; black bean quesadillas, cilantro lime rice, home made guacamole, and store bought tortilla chips.

Quesadillas are always my go-to dinner when I'm pressed for time, and well, because of my aforementioned date with my couch for some Gray's, I was pressed for time last night!! For the rice, I used white jasmine rice because it was what I had in the pantry. I cooked it in the rice cooker, and when it was finished, squeezed in the juice of 2 limes, the zest of one lime, about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro, and some salt to taste. I also went ahead and threw in the squeezed limes, put the lid back on the rice cooker and let the rice continue to steam with the limes in there. This rice is out of this world!! We decided last night that it would also be good as the base for a Thai curry (note to self, Thai curry on the menu for next week). The quesadillas were just store bought tortillas, some smashed black beans, a little diced onion, a little diced tomato and a sprinkle of cilantro. The guac I've blogged about before, and you can find my recipe on that post.

While it wasn't much, it was an extremely satisfying meal that we all enjoyed.

No comments: