Sunday, January 6, 2008

Veggie Pot Pie and, who says vegan muffins don't rise??


Tonight I made the veggie pot pie that I blogged about in my very first food post. This time I didn't have any cauliflower or fresh green beans so instead I used frozen green beans, frozen peas, and frozen corn. On the top crust I sprinkled a little paprika, and voila, it's pot pie. Just as delicious and comforting as last time. Tonight we just had it with a simple side of cottage cheese.

The kids did a bit of a role reversal on us tonight. Stella just picked at her dinner, eating on the crust. Mairin on the other hand ate nearly her entire serving. It seems that Mairin may have turned over a new leaf for the new year. She's been eating like there's no tomorrow, I can't seem to keep the fruits, veggies, and yogurts in stock these days!!


On a different note, I tried my hand at some baking tonight (I do very little baking). With Stella's limited elimination diet, I've been feeling in a rut when it comes to breakfast, so I thought I'd cook up a big batch of muffins so we could have something besides cereal and oatmeal for a change. Well, of course, with no eggs, no soy and no dairy, these had to be vegan muffins. Everywhere I looked I kept seeing over and over again "fill the muffin cups full to the top because vegan muffins don't rise"........well, they do. Just look at these monsters......the muffin tops were bulging over the cups (which is fine by me because I like the tops the best anyway........anyone remember that Seinfeld episode?)
I can't remember where I got the recipe that I finally settled on, so I'm posting it without acknowledgement.
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup rice milk
1/4 cup oil
1 cup frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 400. Grease muffin tin. Mix dry ingredients until combined. Add in wet ingredients and mix until just moistened. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into greased muffin tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.

No comments: