Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sweet Potato Lentil Chili

Tonight's dinner was Sweet Potato Lentil Chili from Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. This chili is awesome, definitely a new favorite of mine. Rob commented that it was so much better than regular chili......he's not a chili fan, and he really liked this one. I had to make just a few minor changes to the recipe. It calls for cumin, I was out, because I used it all in my Bombay Chickpeas from last night. It also calls for red pepper flakes, which I was also out of. So, I subbed about 1/2 tsp extra chili powder to give it the addtional heat and cumin flavor. Instead of using a can of regular crushed tomatoes, I used fire roasted, which I think just add such a unique and incredible flavor. I don't think I'd make it with plain tomatoes. I also used up the last of my kidney beans making Chipotle Lime Two Bean Hummus for Rob. So, instead, I subbed cannellini beans.

I topped the chili with some diced avocado. And, served some cornbread on the side. YUM!!

3 comments:

J said...

Yum Yum! I love any kind of chili! Sweet potato lentil? That sounds awesome!

carrie said...

Jenny - It was awesome!! I'm a big chili lover too, and I have to say I think this has become my new favorite chili!! The sweet potatoes add such a nice "sweet" surprise in the midst of the spices.

Dreena is amazing, I haven't made a recipe of hers that I don't like!!

Melody Wey said...

This recipe first caught my eye in last month's Alive magazine. I made it last night and loved it. The red lentils and lime juice are nice change to the usual chili recipe.