Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tofu Scrambles

After my wonderful experience with scrambled tofu in Chicago, I finally decided to take the plunge and make it myself. Honestly, I don't know what I was so afraid of. Scrambled tofu couldn't be easier to make, and it can be turned into as many variations as you can dream up.

I stared out with the basic scramble you see above. It consisted of Organic Firm Tofu, green peppers, onions and spinach. Of course there was a little turmeric for color, and some cumin along with salt and pepper for flavor enhancement. This little scramble was mighty tasty, but a bit on the "moist" side, as I didn't press the tofu first. I simply squeezed the water out of it as I crumbled it.

A few days after my initial scramble I made this Mexican version and wrapped it in a tortilla. This scramble was Organic Extra Firm Tofu, onions and spinach. The requisite turmeric was added, along with some Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper. I topped it with medium spiced salsa and avocado slices. This time I pressed the tofu for nearly an hour before cooking it. The result was superb. I also liked the texture of the extra firm tofu better.

Scrambled tofu is a perfect way to start the day. Full of enough protein to stick with you until lunch, and as I said, the flavor combinations are endless.

No comments: