Sunday, April 20, 2008

Creamy Spiced Quinoa


This was a recipe from the current issue of Vegetarian Times, Creamy Quinoa with Cranberries. I was so excited to try it, I mean, quinoa for breakfast.....could it get better?? Unfortunately it wasn't a hit. It definitely has potential, and I plan to give it another go some morning during the week. So, once I work on this a bit I'll post my recipe.

This version has the quinoa cooked in soy milk, then spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. It's all sweetened with maple sugar and served with a drizzle of vanilla soy milk at the end. The problem with this recipe was the spice. There was, in my opinion, way too much spice. It also seemed to take an unusually long time for the quinoa to become tender. Next time I'll definitely leave out the ginger and the allspice, and probably reduce the amounts of the other spices. I also plan to use maple syrup and a touch of brown sugar.

Watch for an update to this one in the days to come!!

No comments: