Saturday, April 12, 2008

Italian Sausages


Last night I decided to try out the "sausages" I've been seeing all over the vegan blogs lately. I first saw this at Vegetarian Adventure (thanks for linking me to the recipe Jenny!!). I was a little nervous about how the sausages would go over. Before becoming veg Rob was a huge fan of sausages, and especially Italian sausages, so I knew that these sausages were really going to be scrutinized!!

I followed the recipe from Vegan Dad's blog exactly, only I made 4 sausages instead of 6. Once I got all of the ingredients mixed together I couldn't believe how much these things smelled like sausage. After I steamed the sausages I unwrapped them and refrigerated them until I was ready to grill. Before grilling the sausages I brushed them with olive oil, and continued to brush them with oil as I turned them. Don't they look freakishly like real sausage???

These were great, and Rob approved them!! They were similar to real sausage in nearly every way. The flavor was perfect. The only difference was that these were a bit drier than real pork sausage. I served the grilled sausages along side some farfalle pasta that was topped with a sauce of sauteed green pepper, onion and garlic. I also grilled some asparagus to go along with them.

Our barbecue will definitely be seeing more of these sausages as the weather gets nice.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, those sausages look amazing (and yes, freakishly real). I'll definitely have to try this flavour out (and the basting while cooking too!)

Chessa said...

Those look awesome! I'm going to have to try Vegan Dad's version. And every other version. I'm glad to hear that they grill well, too!