Monday, June 16, 2008

Cookies 'n Cream "Nice" Cream


So, it took me this long to find out.....Oreo cookies are vegan!!! However, I didn't use Oreo's for this recipe. Instead I opted for the slightly healthier Back to Nature Classic Creme Cookies. Don't you just love that big open mouth in the background ready to devour this tasty treat!!??

Cookies 'n Cream "Nice" Cream

1 package Mori Nu Organic Firm Silken Tofu

1 cup Silk Soy Creamer

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk

1/4 cup unrefined sugar

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

8 Back to Nature Classic Creme Cookies, crumbled

In a small saucepan, heat soy milk and dissolve sugar in the heated milk. Add vanilla. Do not boil. Meanwhile, combine tofu and soy creamer in the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth and creamy. In a separate bowl combine heated soy milk, and tofu mixture and stir to combine. Refrigerate to chill, then freeze in an ice cream freezer according to machines directions. When ice cream is nearly frozen add cookie crumbles and churn a few minutes more.

6 comments:

Susan Chipley said...

I fear I'm getting to the point that I NEED an ice cream maker. That looks so good! I think Oreos only recently became vegan. Seems like I read that somewhere.

Megan Boris said...

Megan Boris

Any suggestions for a similar dish with a butter pecan flavor?

Thanks!

carrie said...

megan, I'll probably never do butter pecan, as we can't do nuts in our house. However, you could try this recipe if you'd like to try butter pecan.

cowboybunny said...

Hey Carrie,
Thanks for the heads up on the french fries, guess I should have checked those ingredients, thanks for the link. By the way the ice cream looks delicious, and it looks like you daughter thinks so as well.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks fantastic! I've been playing with different ice cream flavors (haven't posted anything yet, but I will)--and now I think I will just have to try this one out, as well! (I've never been a fan of oreos, anyway, but I bet they'd be good in ice cream!)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

Ugh I have the immediate urge to leave work run home and make this NOW. I want it.