Monday, June 2, 2008

Spaghetti and "Meat"balls


Here it is Monday, and I've been a whole week without blogging. Summer's keepin' us busy and outside more than inside on the computer!! I've got several things to blog that I'll break up into a few posts to make reading easier.

Before we became veg one of Mairin's favorite meals was spaghetti and meatballs. I haven't really found a suitable substitute for her, so when I saw these featured on Vegan Dad I had to give them a try. I've never really liked tempeh before, but I thought grating it would make a difference since it seems to be a texture thing with me. Fortunately, I was right. With the tempeh grated I had no problem eating it at all. These "meat"balls were very good, and definitely were a good stand in for Rob and I. Unfortunately Mairin wasn't a fan. However, I'm quite confident that I can toy with the spicing a little and win her over with a more traditional flavor.

Do you see that purple basil on top??? It's from my garden!! The first thing we've been able to eat out of our garden. Yay!

2 comments:

J said...

Hooray for your purple basil! Does it taste like regular basil, or is there a different flavor?

carrie said...

The purple basil has a more "intense" flavor than the green variety, which I find to be a little sweeter. You use less purple basil when replacing green basil in a recipe. I'm also growing green basil, but it's not ready to use yet, as I started it from seed and bought the purple basil as a plant already.