Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tomato Roasted Garlic Soup


I don't typically serve soup in the summer months unless it's gazpacho, or some other chilled soup. However, yesterday I planned to make some falafel but failed to soak the garbanzos over night and had to come up with an alternate plan. That alternate plan was this Tomato Roasted Garlic Soup that I've been wanting to try for a long time now. This soup was so delicious, even on a hot and humid summer evening. It had a very fresh flavor and was very light compared to the heavier, creamier cousin cream of tomato soup.

To go along with the salad I made the Pita Panzanella from May's issue of Vegetarian Times. I always want to make panzanella, but Rob has a serious aversion to even slightly soggy bread, so bread salad isn't a great choice. This version however replaces the typical bread with toasted whole wheat pita triangles. I toasted the pita longer than the recipe suggests in order to get them nice and crispy so they would hold up against the lemon-mint dressing. I realize that since the pitas didn't absorb the flavor of the dressing this isn't actually panzanella, but it was a terrific salad, regardless. A perfect summer evening meal.

No comments: