Friday, July 18, 2008

Crispy Baked Eggplant Medallions and Pasta



We got this giant eggplant from the CSA this week. Plus, we got tons of squash, zucchini and tomatoes. So, last night I decided to use up most of it and throw together a little Italian dish. The pasta was a new favorite for all. Mairin asked for seconds, which almost never happens, and then immediately asked when I'd make it again!!

For the pasta I just sauted some of the zucchini and squash in a little olive oil, then added in some minced garlic, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. When the pasta was cooked I threw it in the pot with the veggies and heated it through, then garnished it with some chopped fresh parsley.

I also made some crispy eggplant. Other than as baba ghanoush, crispy and baked is the only way I like eggplant. You can lightly fry this dish instead of baking it, but baking makes it a little healthier (and my huge oval pots were already taking up all of the space on the stove!).

To make the eggplant medallions, slice one eggplant into slices that are about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge the medallions in flour, then dip in dijon mustard that has been thinned with water. Dip the mustard coated medallions in breadcrumbs. Lie them in a single layer on a baking sheet, season tops with salt and pepper and bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until golden and crispy. I like to serve the medallions topped with tomato sauce.

1 comment:

Susan Chipley said...

Ohhhh! I've been wanting to find a good, healthy eggplant "parmesan" forever. I think I'll be making this soon.