Tuesday, July 1, 2008

More cupcakes


I still have 74 recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World to try out (ok, so maybe a few less since I have to pass on the nutty ones). However, my copy of Vegan with a Vengeance is due back to the library this week, and I couldn't let it go without trying the Coconut Heaven Cupcakes. Yes, it's true that we are probably the only vegetarians in our town, and I'm quite sure we are the only vegans, so I could probably renew the book 100 times over and no one would complain........but, being a good vegan, I keep taking it back and leaving it on the shelves for a few months at a time just hoping someone will stumble upon it and try out a cruelty free diet. Never the less, about the cupcakes................Heaven doesn't even begin to describe them. These cupcakes are out of this world! I made them into mini-cupcakes and they are just perfect for popping in your mouth when you need a little sweet kick!! My experience with other cupcake recipes has taught me that most icing recipes are too sweet for my liking, so I started with just half the confectioners sugar that's called for, and it was just about right. I used slightly more than half of what the recipe calls for. If you have this book and you've never made these cupcakes, go do it now!!

3 comments:

J said...

How adorable! Those cupcakes look yummy!

I am the same way you are about the library book! I am hoping someone else will want to check it out too! But I do think I will try and renew ED&BV...

Susan Chipley said...

Awesome! I'm glad you liked them. I think I used more coconut than called for in the frosting. (I wasn't measuring.) It made them really crunchy! YUM! They were better than any coconut cake I've ever had.

carrie said...

I used the correct amount of coconut in the frosting, but added toasted coconut after they were iced. That gave them a little color and added to the crunch factor. And the fact that they are bite-sized helps me not feel so guilty for popping one in the middle of the day!!